Articles by Amy Dunkin

  • County Executive Latimer Launches Climate Action Task Force

    Posted in Press on December 13, 2018 | No Comments

    It’s intended to reduce Westchester’s carbon footprint and make us more resilient to climate change.

  • Where Do I Recycle or Donate Unwanted Items? 

    Posted in EcoWise Column on September 20, 2018 | No Comments

    Thanks to our friends at the Rye Sustainability Committee for compiling this list.

  • Letter Advocates for Environmentally Sustainable Hutchinson School

    Posted in Press on September 19, 2018 | No Comments

    FELLOW PELHAMITES! Please Sign the Letter Below to encourage our BOE and Elected Officials that Sustainability is necessary as we build our schools and community for the future! See link Below. Add your name in the comments below or email lmjoyce888@gmail.com. Dear Pelham Board of Education, New Hutchinson School Committee, Dr. Champ: I am sending […]

  • Plastic Is Killing our Oceans – The Issues, Facts, and Possible Solutions

    Posted in Press on July 16, 2018 | No Comments

    Plastic Is Killing our Oceans – The Issues, Facts, and Possible Solutions By Wendy Lipscomb @ itsafishthing.com Approximately 40% of the world’s 7.6 billion people live within 62 miles (100km) of an ocean coast. For the other 60%, some of whom may never have even seen an ocean, the seas still play a vital role […]

  • Let’s Bag Plastic Bags

    Posted in Press on March 04, 2018 | No Comments

    This op-ed piece was published on Mar. 3, 2018 in The New York Times: Let’s Bag Plastic Bags By JOSEPH CURTIN All it had taken was a moment’s distraction. In a well-practiced sleight of hand, the cashier had double-bagged in plastic a dozen eggs, which were already encased in two protective layers of plastic. I briefly […]

  • Stop Sucking

    Posted in Press on December 11, 2017 | No Comments

    Check out this awesome – and entertaining – video created by Mamaroneck High School about the staggering and unnecessary levels of waste created by plastic straws. Many thanks to Mamaroneck teacher and Rye resident Cathy O’Donnell for sharing! Stop sucking! #stopsucking https://drive.google.com/…/1JO_P_qEfpcz5gioZPZun0SxRMO…/view

  • EcoWise: How to Winnow the Waste Out of Your Holidays

    Posted in EcoWise Column on December 05, 2017 | No Comments

    In October, the youth group at Huguenot Memorial Church planned an event for 50 people with a key goal in mind: to generate zero waste. According to Associate Pastor Jacob Bolton (above), the organizers asked the caterer – Modern Restaurant in New Rochelle — to deliver the food in recyclable foil tins and avoid using […]

  • PEP Rally: Introducing Pelham Eliminates Plastics

    Posted in EcoWise Column, Press on October 13, 2017 | No Comments

    We’d like to introduce you to PEP (Pelham Eliminates Plastics), which aims to school parents, teachers, neighbors, merchants, and friends about the FACTS on plastic waste and what it’s doing to our threatened oceans. The group takes its inspiration, in part, from Melati and Isabel Wijsen, sisters from Bali who organized a kids’ crusade that […]

  • EcoWise: Community Composting: It Can Be Done

    Posted in EcoWise Column on October 08, 2017 | No Comments

    Last month, EcoWise focused on the composting programs at Siwanoy and Colonial Schools. These initiatives come as food-scrap composting is taking hold at a number of Westchester municipalities, including Scarsdale, Larchmont/Mamaroneck, Bedford, and soon, Greenburgh. The benefits are numerous: It brings the food cycle full circle by turning food remains back into nutrient-rich dirt. It […]

  • EcoPel’s 2017 Summer Solstice Community Yoga Practice

    Posted in Event Photos & Videos on July 23, 2017 | No Comments

    Photos by Thomas Bricker